Monday, January 28, 2008

Week 4 - Things 8 & 9

Thing # 8
I did have some previous knowledge about RSS feeds & newsreader accounts, however I had never taken the time to really explore them or set them up. I just set up a bloglines account - it was fast & easy to do. I started off by selecting some of their "packages" - I chose the ones on books, parenting, & words. Several of the sites within each of the packages were ones I already visited on occasion.

Thing # 9
I also explored and added some additional library related blogs to my bloglines account. Once again, several of the sites were ones I already visit occasionally - so it will be nice to start utilizing bloglines to stay updated without having to do all of that hopping around from site to site.
I added Christopher Harris' Infomacy, Joyce Valenza's Neverending Search (from the School Library Journal site) , School Library Journal's Web 2.0 News, & School Library Journal's Web sites News. I was already subscribed to Librarians' Index to the Internet and Shifted Librarian because they came with my "packages" that I selected.

I did not try out Google Newsreader yet, but I would like to compare that to bloglines. Also, despite my efforts with my students to get them to use sources other than Google - I do use many Google services frequently - mostly for email & a group that I am in - so it may end up being more convenient for me to also use their newsreader.

No comments: